As you consider making a commitment to therapy, I hope you will consider what you want in a therapeutic relationship. What kind of therapist do you think can help you? Here are some of my beliefs about therapy and the therapeutic relationship:
- I believe that people heal and grow in relationship, so the relationship between client and therapist is very important and needs to be a “good fit” for you and your family. I offer a free 30 minutes consultation so you can begin to feel comfortable in therapy and to help you decide if you think we can work together. I will be glad to give you referrals for other therapists in the area if you don’t think I am a “good fit” for you and/or your family.
- I believe that you are an expert on your life, your child’s life, and what will work for you. I work collaboratively with adults, teens, and their families and respect their viewpoint, beliefs, and goals.
- I believe parents are the greatest influencers in their child’s life and that by supporting parents and helping them in their role, I will have the most potential for impact in the life of a child.
- I believe that it is sometimes hard to come to therapy and that clients should find therapy to be a safe, non-judgemental place where they can work on their challenges and goals.
- I believe that kids do the best they can and that if they are struggling, they need the adults in their life to help them figure out what is going on ad assist them in learning skills to do better, cope better, and struggle less.
- I believe clients should make progress in therapy, and that they deserve excellent, ethical, “above and beyond” service.